Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Back to School

I mentioned that I teach 7th grade Language Arts. I have always loved my job, teaching grades 6-8 when I began in the 80's, then elementary grades until 3 years ago when I ventured over to the middle school. I have absolutely loved the last 22 years in the classroom-how different they all were! This year I hope to create another group of kids who will love to know what it is to be a reader and a writer. My dream is to capture at least 75% of my students (around 130 of them) attention to where they can actually enjoy a book, and not look at it as boring!
How can anyone not like a job that requires you to help a student find THE ONE book that will make them a reader for life?? I've seen so many attitudes change from total defiance to giving recommendations for favorite books!
Writing is a little more challenging to teach, but I have hope that I make it fun enough for the kids to enjoy themselves. Their creativity is so rich-they just don't see it-so I have the pleaseure of waking them up to it!
I guess I am a true GEEK, I am ready for school to start. Yes, my summer went by all too quickly, especially since I tried my hand at being an elementary summer school principal! LOL It went well, and the kids were great! But it took away half of my usual summer break, and my writing and gardening and vacationing took a back seat-but I did complete my summer "To Do" List. (I feel good about that!)
So- off I go to finish my "Before School-To Do" List!
(That's me presenting at the MRA conference!)
Definitley time for TEA!!
E-

No comments:

Post a Comment