Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Fall into Reading (and writing!)

This is a great time to snuggle down with a good book and a comfy blanket and read 'till your heart's content. I have several books on my "read me" list. Several are adult fiction, some are young adult fiction, some are reference books for my teaching career, and others are for my addiction to crocheting and yarn.
I adore Debbie Macomber, Jodi Picoult, Susan Wiggs, as well a Anita Shreve...and where would we be without James Patterson, Richard Paul Evans, and David Baldacci? (Oh! and Nicholas Sparks!)
I am currently reading a Sandra Brown novel entitled, Lethal , a Cornelia Funke novel called, Inkdeath (the last in a young adult trilogy), and am listening to an audio book by Joyce Myer, who is a wonderful speaker for those of you who need a little spiritual inspiration!
I can't seem to get enough of the printed word.
Today in class, my 7th grade students and I had wonderful conversations about how reading and writing are considered an "art". I asked them why they thought my job title was an English Language Arts teacher- and the responses were so cool.
One student said it's because writers see images in their heads and describe it, and thoughts of characters on paper. Another said that it's because it's what you feel about a topic, and you share it with the world through writing. Yet another said that it's a way to communicate emotions, like in music and painting, only it's in story form.
We then went into how good books can become movies, and are generally blockbusters and rake in millions of dollars; Harry Potter, The Hunger Games, The Help, The Lovely Bones...the list goes on!
It is fascinating to me that 7t grade students can see so much, and understand so much, but are so afraid to try it themselves because of lack on confindence. 
As an ELA teacher, it's my ob to get it out of them, and speak their mind on an issue, create another land, or reflect on life experiences and create memoir.
Think I have an easy job?
No, I don't ... but the class discussions that I have just mentioned are what keep me grounded in my belief that I can pull it out of the majority of them-even if they outnumber me 165 to 1. LOL-

Keep reading-and check out some young adult books- some of them are better than adult fiction!

Curl up with me and tea-
E-


 

2 comments:

  1. I just finished reading "Room" by Emma Donoghue. Have you heard of it. I was less than impressed, but I wonder if it's because I couldn't relate to the narrator, a 5-year-old boy. It was an interesting concept, just not my thing.

    Right now, I'm reading "Bossypants" by Tina Fey. So far, so fabulous! It's her memoir and it's just as funny as her performances on SNL and 30 Rock. You should check it out if you're into her at all! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love Tina! I will have to read that one! Hope you are having a good Fall.

      Delete