Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Writing...

     I have been looking through my many journals in my nightstand from years gone by, and I decided to begin writing again. I have had many literature and writing courses between my bachelor's degree and my 2 master's degrees in Reading and Literacy, and have always wanted to take the time to actually try my hand at writing. I have jotted down many ideas and thoughts about what I would write about, and the only thing that keeps popping into my mind is what Jerry Spinelli, author of several young adult books, said to us at th Michigan Reading Conference 8 years ago! Write about what you know! I have heard many authors say similar things, as well as professors, so I guess they can't be wrong, can they?
     I write what I know whenever I blog-
So what's the difference? I do enjoy blogging about things...and I don't care that no one reads them! LOL! I do it maily for myself anyway-to "practice" I suppose.
     Well, I have begun a writing piece that I want to share with my fiance', and I am very excited to show it to him. We both love a good story. We are reading all the time, and listening to audio books, and telling each other if we enjoy them or not, or whether or not the other would enjoy it so they can check it out of the library next! Sounds so nerdy, but it's the honest truth, and I love it!
     I am intereted to see what his opinion of my writing will be. He seems to enjoy my blog, so I hope he will have good things to say about my more serious writing.
     I teach my students all kinds of things about author's craft, voice, transitions, strong verbs, and proper noun verb agreement throughout their writing- and I wish I could just sit and write with them. (Sometimes I do...for modeling purposes, but I get carried away, and they love to watch me go!) LOL!
     So, if anyone is reading this blog-please comment on my style or anything else for that matter. I really do want to hear your comments and thoughts, good or bad. I can take criticism -well-I'm a teacher whose been coached for years- I want "fixers" and "keepers" in my writing world now- and you are the experts!

         With that in mind-
It's time for tea!!  Chai!  Mmmmmmm!
E-

No comments:

Post a Comment