Thursday, February 17, 2011

Thoughts to Ponder

                                                                                  

Our staff did a great job this week in qualifying for AYP, or Adequate Yealy Progress in the state of Michigan. I am very proud to be part of such a great staff and work with such wonderful administrators!
We truly are strong at Strong Middle School!
Going through the process of this endeavor, I realized that I would like to re-open an old project that I organized last year with my 7th grade students. We had bake sales, organized sunglasses day, and made a lot of money to landscape the front of our building. With the help of Home Depot, we were able to purchase trees, plants, flowers, soil, mulch and pavers! The project was very successful!
I would love to open that can of worms again, but in a big way! I am thinking of constructing a greenhouse to grow plants, herbs, etc. and continiue the landscaping project on a grander scale. Students could grow and sell fresh herbs, vegetables, plants and the like to fudraising for our school's upkeep on the landscaping projects.
When I was in Califiornia last week, I met a wonderful woman named Beth who is a Master Gradener in her area. She told me of school garden projects that were being organized with the help of Master Gardeners. She kindly sent me an enormous amount of resources for me to research and get a quainted with. I can now contact Master Garders in my area of Michigan, and get help with ideas for our school!
This is exciting for me, because our school is very multicultural and the possibilities can be endless if we could reach out to our families to generate "growing" possibilities for ethnic cooking! What a great contrast in herbs, vegetables, ingredients and recipes we could come up with!
It's nice to still have passion for my job after 21 years-
So many thoughts to ponder...


With that said-
Time for TEA!!
E-

No comments:

Post a Comment