Monday, February 28, 2011

Foundations

    





Foundations- what are they? Sometimes I think of them as origins, or beginings...then years go by and I think with more experience, they become personalized, individual- or more so anyway. We take with us the things that our parents, grandparents, loved family members, and childhood memories instill in us. The lessons we learned, the interests we hold, our morals, values, and the like, are all what we hold as "foundations".
More years go by, and what becomes of our foundations? Do they sit and fester, as a bad thing that haunts us? Do we think about them and occasionally visit them in our thoughts and daydreams? Do we hide them, and ignore them, because it's too difficult to remember them and hold on to them? Or do we cherish them as heirlooms and try to abide by them in our daily lives?   
    
     What is it that keeps us drawing on our foundations? I often ask myself, how am I like my mother or my father? How am I, or am I at all like my grandparents? Since I lost three of my grandparents as a child, I never got to know their personalities very well, but I do know some of the things they did. I have a grandmother who passed in her early 50's. I was in 3rd grade. Her husband, my grandfather, died weeks later, he was in his later 50's. My other grandfather was 53, I was 3 when I lost him. Never knew much about him, except for what he looked like, because I have some good pictures of him, and that he was a baker, he started a bakery that his step brothers took over after her passed.

     My grandmother loved to bake and I know she crocheted. She was a very loving grandmother from what I can remember. My other grandfather was a fire chief, and he loved to fish. He also liked beer and playing cards at the station on their down time, but I don't know much about all that.

     I have one grandmother who is still with us. She is 95 years old. I don't know her much, I wish she would have been the kind of person I could have gotten to know, but she wasn't. I have seen her a few times in the nursing home she is in, but I am having difficulty finding the time to see her on a regular basis. I love her, but she was always hard to love- now at 95, there is no reason not to love her!

     My foundations are strong, and clear. I've never questioned them. My parents are to be commended for giving them to me, and helping me to see how important they are to my life even now. I need to be aware that my own kids need a strong foundation- and even though we live in a different time and attitude, it is still essential for a good and wholesome and life, with many benefits along the way.

    
     As I get older, I see myself understanding the joy that some of my grandparents got from the things they did to pass the time. I am beginning to appreciate the craft of crochet, baking, and fishing! I also like beer, but with moderation. :)  These things are becoming essential in my life, and I wish to share it with others in some way. What way I'm not sure. I am still toying with "Tea Catering", but I am scared. I am not a business person, I am a teacher- so I still need to draw all my thoughts out on this one. I love to crochet, it is such a stress reliever! I have made 2 cute scarves and am in the middle of my first afghan. Now I am obsessed with various yarns with their textures and colors. Heaven help me! LOL

     With my foundations in place, and my thoughts in a whirl for the future-
it's a good idea for me to have tea!!!

Time for Tea!!!
E-

No comments:

Post a Comment