Thursday, October 14, 2010

My Reading Students

I have charged my students with reading 40 books by year's end. I had many who fell out of their seat, many who didn't have a reaction, and some who took it as a challenge.
Every year I am confronted with students who tell me they just hate to read. They think it is boring and they won't read no matter what!
One girl said to me that she just doesn't like to read, and she will never make the 40 book goal-she kept shaking her head back and forth, saying she can't do it, her reading level is too low, and that's why she hates to read.
I had her read a very short mystery book, for her first book because it is the genre we are studying first. She did so, and then hesitated for a few days in reading her second. She kept getting a book and abandoning it. I asked her if she was having a hard time-she said yes...
She was so sure that pople would make fun of her because she has to read lower level books.
I found a great book for her on my shelf, and asked her to try it. She said, it's too thick!!! I just laughed and said, look at the print!
She said she'd try it.
She is half way done with it, and she loves it. I know this because she asked me to find the other books that were advertised in the back of the book written by the same author.

This is what makes me love my job.

Time for tea-
E-

No comments:

Post a Comment