Thursday, March 24, 2011

Walking

Henry David Thoreau wrote about walking as if it were a gift. He traces it back to the time of the Sainte-Terrer, or Saunterer,or one who walks to the Holy Land...
He also concedes that humans are part of nature's make up, not merely citizens...saunterers, with or without a home, can feel at home anywhere that nature can provide a "home". We are at home everywhere, or so we should be.
No, I am not suggesting we all become vagrants or saunterers...I am suggesting the art of walking.

My fiance' and I took our first walk of the season the other night. The weather was still cool, and the night wind was here and there, and the sun was lowering itself into the earth's horizon. I couldn't help but murmer how much I had missed the outdoors throughout our entire 3 mile walk. I felt like I was in awe of the trip, I had truly missed the feeling that walking gives me.

Walking makes me feel relieved of (some) stress, hopeful when I see new things nature has to offer the island, excited to view deer running across the grassy yards near the river while the sun is still in view through the branches of the spring trees. The ice floats making there way southward toward the lake is a sight to behold. A secret it keeps that spring is soon to appear, but not as fast as we want it. Water foul gaining in numbers at the river's edge, enough to hear their call at dusk and dawn.

I heard a ferry's horn blowing this morning- what a great noise. It immediately made me yearn for lake time with the one's I love to be with. Water is a cure for what ailes me at times...it also replenishes senses that need to be awakened once again, absent from the long indoors of winter.

Thoreau's words complete my own thoughts as I walk like the saunterer he describes in his works entitled, "Walking".

"So we saunter toward the Holy Land, till one day the sun shall shine more brightly than ever he has done, shall perchance shine into our minds and hearts, and light up our whole lives with a great awakening light, as warm and golden as on a bankside in autumn."

Time for Tea-
E-


No comments:

Post a Comment